Friday, December 17, 2010

Kampala- Take Two

It's midnight here and I'm resting with my Coke Light and almonds while I post an update about today. It was a longie but a goodie! We left at 9ish this morning for Kampala again; this time to begin the visa process and also to get Patricia's TB test for sure, with the hopes that they would have time for her physical exam as well.

After a traffic-filled drive we arrived at the Embassy a little before noon. The office closes at noon on Fridays, so I was thankful that we were even seen. I was able to speak with the lady who helps to process visas for kids when parents have been granted legal guardianship. She really wants Patricia's birth certificate, but she said she will get started on the investigation anyway. The birth certificate is in process and will hopefully be turned in to the Embassy next week.

Next stop was the doctor's office. There were many others waiting to be seen for visa purposes as well, so it was a bit of a wait. I can say that getting the TB injection was not very fun for Patricia, but after a while she forgave us. Thankfully she was able to get her physical exam as well. I'm not sure if it was the cure of time or the cure of food that made her feel better as she didn't get her lunch of 'fish and chips' until the afternoon, but soon after eating she was her usual self again.

One of the couples here also working towards adoption arrived on the same flight with me, but unfortunately their luggage did not. They were able to get that today, thankfully. While that was in process we did a little more shopping. At one time in the store, Patricia had 3 big bracelets on each arm and was getting her groove on in front of a mirror! It was hysterical. By the time I got my camera out the moment was over, and she wasn't real excited about doing it again on demand. That chick is forever dancing!

I've been trying to think about how I can describe what it's like in Africa. There isn't anything I can say that will make you feel like you've been here, but I'll do my best to put words to the sights. The poverty is everywhere. In Kampala, the capital and largest city in Uganda, there are many outdoor markets with kids selling goods and there is lots and lots of activity late into the night. The driving is crazy, but pretty fun. There are two types of taxis: motorcycles (boda-bodas) and big minivan taxis crammed with people. And don't think that because you've been out shopping and purchased a mattress that there's any reason you can't take a boda-boda home from that trip! White people are mzungus, but it's not necessarily a bad thing. Some babies and kids are obviously physically sick with malnourishment, right in front of your eyes, and no one else seems to notice or care.

Nothing that I've seen here is much different than other third world countries I've visited. The look in the eyes of the people is the same. The hopelessness and helplessness and the knowledge that nothing will ever change. It's everywhere. But there is hope! Not necessarily hope in the sense of prosperity for this life, but hope in the Father for all things to be made right in the eternal. I don't know why suffering day in and day out is in the plans for many people. But I do know that the one who has ordained all things is good and He is trustworthy and He does what He says He will do. Father, give strength and wisdom to those working here day after day to show your hope to these lovely people.

There is only one thing I know about tomorrow: we are NOT going to Kampala. But other than that I'm not sure what is in store. I will take pictures and post them; that's a second thing you can count on!

Love,
Kim

1 comment:

  1. Kim, your writing makes me feel like I'm right there with you :) Thanks for the updates and the glimpse of Patricia's cute personality! I'm praying for you both! Especially for the judge to have favor on you. I know how judges can be :( love and blessings, Patty

    ReplyDelete