Saturday, December 18, 2010

Sweeties and Braids

Greetings,

I need to start off with an apology- no pictures! I mostly stayed at GSF (Good Shepherd's Fold) today, working on my bible study some and then playing with the kids. As a result of going to bed so late last night (2am) I slept in until 10am this morning- yahoo! As I was getting out of bed, I saw two little bodies scurry around the corner, stifling giggles. As I walked into the kitchen I saw Patricia and her friend, Chloe, hiding and giggling. Apparently they had been watching me as I slept; sleeping like a baby in streaming sunlight with animals outside making all sorts of noises, I rested on! Patricia then asked if Chloe could 'have some sweeties' (British for candy). I shared with them some of the M&M's I have stashed for the kids. Patricia also reminded me of the 'gift' (not present) that I told her the day before that I would give her. She opened her Littlest Pet Shop toys, and then the girls were off!

Later today I walked outside and saw a group of kids playing under a tree. Patricia was in the group along with some kids a little older. They asked when I was leaving, and were surprised when I told them that I would be leaving GSF for Entebbe tomorrow and would need to spend the night there because my plane wouldn't fly out until early Monday morning. The next question was if Patricia would be coming with me, to which I answered no, but told them I would return with my husband and daughter next month. (The kids who do not have legal guardianship aren't told that they are being adopted, in case something goes awry with that process). To which someone said, "But she got her injection!" Referring to the TB test from yesterday. Ahhh, what a tough conversation! I ended it by saying we would see if we could take her home in January. I also found out later this afternoon that her grandmother, when we saw her during court, had told Patricia that she would be going to America. So that's the word around town. There have been so many recent adoptions from GSF that the kids are recognizing the pattern (Kampala, injection, doctor), but have been thrown for a loop this time with me leaving after a week rather than staying for 4-5 weeks!

After we hung out outside together, during which time the girls informed me that they would like me to bring some long jump ropes if possible as well as some sweeties when I come back, I was asked if they could come into my home here. So I let them in and they wanted to hear some music on the laptop. Lecrae was a favorite as well as Light Up the Sky by The Afters which was kind of surprising as they told me that a Toby Mac song was 'boring'. We were all sitting on the couch together and I got my hair braided! Not completely- only the top- as I was going to be heading into Jinja so they had to stop. Some of the comments heard: 'This girl's hair is so confusing! I am all mixed up.'... and... 'Your hair is so slippery!'.... and... 'Look at how white the skin on your head (scalp) is!'... and, best of all... to my statement of how good this felt and I was just going to rest my eyes, 'How is it that some girls rest and the others do all the work?' You need the British accent for the full effect, but that was a big belly laugh for me! I know Maren is going to have fun playing with these kids. There are a bunch of sweet kids here, 91 to be exact, and they are not all sponsored currently. If you have maybe been thinking about sponsoring a Compassion child, or one from a similar organization, or if you already sponsor a child somewhere else but have been thinking about signing up for another, this is your place! Tomorrow I will try to take pictures of the kids who don't have sponsors and I will post them for you to see. I'm not sure of the monthly amount, but will include that information as well.

In the late afternoon a big group of us went into Jinja, crossing the Nile River, folks, and did a little shopping. Afterwards we ate at a great restaurant called Two Friends. I got lasagna and they done good! I can think of a few American restaurants that would be put to shame. I also had a pot of African tea, which was like a Chai latte. Very good! The scenery was beautiful- outdoor with lights in the trees and pretty gardens. I know, I know, I needed to take pictures. I think in the back of my mind I know that I will be back, but I will try to forget that tomorrow and snap away!

I am going to the teenager's Sunday school class tomorrow morning followed by the church service. Looking forward to it!

Blessings,
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment