Sunday, January 30, 2011

And a good time was had by all

I'm committed to posting everyday, so even though it's midnight now and we're getting up at 6am tomorrow to head to the Embassy, here goes!

So, folks, it appears I was confused on the event planning side of the things.  The First-Ever GSF Bunco Game was actually held on Saturday evening, and The Big Night Out was tonight, on Sunday evening.  This is a post on both.


The GSF staff women and their daughters are some sharp ladies.  Of all the groups to whom I have explained the intricacies of bunco, this one picked it up the quickest.  And not only are they sharp, but they are competitive as well.  This makes for the best combination.  I believe a good time was had by all.

I was internally flustered after I set up the prizes and didn’t grab a photo of them to share.  While I was grouping the prizes and tying them with ribbon a few hours before playing, I mentally counted heads and realized that I would actually be playing.  (Initially I planned to sit out because I was counting 12 players without me, but I was mistaken).  So I decided that the twelfth prize I brought would be a big bunco bag item (extra prize) and I would skip on a prize for myself, naturally.  So, I set up the prizes at the end of the game and quickly counted eleven.  At that point I think my mind left me and I was quietly freaking out that I didn’t have enough for everyone.  I forgot for the moment that I did play the game and that I purposely had eleven prizes as of course I wouldn’t need one.  During the entire prize time, I am trying to think of a plan to fix this awkward situation.  Can I run back to the guesthouse and grab a half-eaten can of nuts and a Cliff bar for the twelfth person?  It wasn't until the end of the prizes when I saw that everyone had a prize, except for me, exactly as I had planned.  Which is when it hit me that I had been the twelfth player.  My hands were so sweaty by this point that I couldn't have taken a picture if I had tried.  Good gravy; get a grip, girl...

In lieu of a picture, I will tell you that some of the prizes were cookie mixes, boxed pie crusts, Heath bits, Andes bits, chocolate cake mix, frosting tub, lemon bar mix, chocolate mousse mix, Dream Whip, various nuts, Twizzlers, Swiss Cake Rolls, and fruit snacks.  I may be missing some, but you get the idea.  These things are either nonexistent or very expensive in Africa.  Don't worry, American bunco group; we won't have such prizes next month!

And on to The Big Night out...

We went to The Black Lantern, which is a beautiful resort-type area with beautiful grounds, breathtaking views, and fabulous food.  No, we haven't left Africa yet.  Such a fun, fun time was had by all of the missionary staff and their families.  It was really a special time of fellowship as we come to a close on our time here.


I mentioned earlier about getting up early in the morning.  You might remember that tomorrow is a big day for us as we have our interview at the Embassy.  Please be in prayer that the Lord will see fit for Patricia's visa to be granted and that it would be in time for us to depart as scheduled.  And that if things don't go this way, that God is still very much a good God and that we would rest in that promise. 

Praying to see all of you on Wednesday evening.

Goodnight from Uganda,
Kim

4 comments:

  1. Hey girl! You guys are on minds and in our hearts! We are praying for all your requests and hope to see you home soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update! We'll be praying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all goes well at the Embassy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroline has grown accustomed to looking at this blog just like Mommy. When she saw the big girls at bunco, she said "oh, no! Patricia already grew up".

    ReplyDelete