Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Little Black Bag & the Parting of the Waters

Lauren and Patricia, chillin
It's past time to update with our newest information.  The holidays, which were fabulous by the way, got the best of me and I was unable to write anything even though I've been home from Africa for a week and a half now. 

The trip home was uneventful.  I slept well on the multiple planes when I wasn't eating or watching movies.  The only problem was that I left the single piece of luggage that I checked, ON THE CAROUSEL.  Yes, folks.  Who does this???  I'd like to say that it might have been a combination of a) having 4 carry-on items in my arms, giving me the sensation of having all my belongings already and b) being excited to see the kids and Nate waiting for me at the end of the arrival area.  But the bottom line is that I forgot to go to baggage claim.  You should have heard me on all of the subsequent phone calls to the United Baggage Services, "Well, it wasn't really a delayed bag.  I'm sure it was actually on the carousel.  If I had looked for it."  Add to it that all of the baggage folks I spoke with were Indian so we have a slight language barrier combined with an idiotic story.  Thankfully there is nothing that I currently need in the bag because I still don't have it.  We were awoken yesterday with a phone call from United Baggage in Greensboro saying that my luggage has arrived and would I like to pick it up or have it delivered.  I sheepishly asked if there would be a delivery charge, as it's kind of tough to throw your weight around in this situation and to be insistent on your rights, and the kind lady said no.  I'm thinking she doesn't fully understand the situation, but I was willing to take her up on the offer nonetheless.  All I care is that I get the bag before leaving for Uganda again as it has my thrift store skirts inside that I need to wash so they can be reworn (skirts are a must in Jinja).

Speaking of 'Uganda again', we have our travel plans in place!  It is an honor and privilege to share with you the plan of the Father in providing our way back to Africa, in His time.  But first a little background.  When we began the adoption journey in April we did not have the funds for it.  We were moving forward in faith that God would provide for all the expenses.  As the homestudy and the Homeland Security forms and a variety of other fees became due, we had the money.  Fortunately at my place of employment I had the opportunity to work extra shifts during the spring and summer.  This was God's provision for us we feel; by giving me health, an education, and a job with extra shifts for extra pay.  But in the back our minds we knew we would have plane tickets to buy and that these tickets would combine to be the greatest expense of our adoption. 

My parents do a lot of international travel with the mission agency they work with and subsequently they have many frequent flyer miles.  However, Africa is not an area where miles are easily redeemed.  Is there an Amen from any frequent travellers?  There are many blackout dates and locations.  So much so that in order to schedule a ticket it must be done over the phone with an agent as opposed to independently on the computer.  We are also going to be taking Maren, our 9 year old daughter, over with us to be able to establish a relationship with Patricia before bringing her home.  Even with the additional expense, we felt strongly led to do this.  Our thoughts: since the girls will be sharing a room at home, any opportunity Patricia would have to 'live' with Maren at GSF and feel safe with her would be invaluable back in the States.

Over the recent months and weeks I have been excited to read about God's provision for other adopting families.  I mean truly excited!  I have read about amazing yard sales, homemade items, anonymous gifts, you name it.  In hearing of these gifts, I would tell God again and again that I believed he had a good plan for us, and I would ask for patience and belief.  Working additional extra shifts during the coming year was starting to seem like the way we would be provided for.  We opened a 0% APR/12 month credit card to put the plane tickets on, and we planned to make payments throughout 2011, with the hopes that the adoption tax credit in 2012 might complete the amount charged.  And we were resting in that being God's best for us at this point in our journey.

Until my dad called and said that he was able to get ALL THREE and ONE-HALF flights from Greensboro to Entebbe with frequent flyer miles!  I hope when you read that you can feel some of the surprise and joy that we felt with the news.  In His time and in His way.  And in case we missed the miracle, some dear friends felt led to give us an amount of money that, unbeknownst to them and to us at the time, covered the taxes on the plane tickets.

And if Almighty God had not chosen to provide for us in this way?  He would still be good.  And he would still be worthy of all praise.  For we have been given much, much more than we deserve.  But because Jehovah Jireh has brought glory to Himself in this way, we rejoice with thanksgiving! 

We will be leaving on the afternoon of my birthday, January 21st.  Can you think of a greater gift?  Our court date is January 25th.  And our return tickets are on February 1st.  You can rest in the fact that I am now trying to figure out how to make three weeks fly by as I don't think I'll be able to stand myself for too much longer!  I can hardly wait for Nate and Maren to meet Patricia and experience GSF, and to greet the boys with joy as the four of us walk down the long hallway at the Greensboro airport to be a family of eight, together.

Blessings in the New Year,
Kim  

PS  Here is girly-girl, caught in the act of dancing in front of the reflective door!




 

1 comment:

  1. So, so amazing!! Rejoicing with you in His mighty provision Kim! I read this quote recently and loved it: "Money should never get in the way of getting families for kids. When we
    say we can’t afford adoption, we’re saying the Father won’t provide for the fatherless, that He’s a deadbeat dad. Untrue." So neat that your family can be a testimony to this part of God's character. I think a lot of people need to see it. I'm excited to see your family united soon!!

    ReplyDelete